This morning my baking instinct kicked in again and I was craving for some muffins. Low-carb ones that is. Obviously getting fresh muffins, much less low-carb ones, at 6am would be more than difficult. So I went out to the nearby Tesco Express and bought myself two packs of almond meal. I scored the recipe from here. The last time I baked it they looked plain so I decided to add in Instant Coffee and a healthy dosage of Cinnamon which smelled lovely at 7am in the morning! When I first bit into it, I did not think they were sweet enough so I spread Peanut Butter and No-added Sugar Jam on it. After a while I was looking at the naked muffins and decided to dress up them up. So I made some chocolate frosting and dipped it in coconut.
Now which do you think looks nicer?
Recipe for “Chocolate frosting” after the jump…
To achieve the “Chocolate frosting”, I was determined to make it as low carbs as possible.
1. Heat 125ml Half Fat Thick Cream (low in carbs VERY high in fat) in a saucepan over low heat and keep stirring.
2. Add in 7 heaped tbsps Splenda and 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence. Keep stirring
3. Remove from heat before it boils and using a whisk, stir and add 25g chocolate (I used Lindt 99% Cacao, extremely bitter) at the same time.
4 . Stir mixture until it cools and thickens.
5. Dip top of Muffin into cooled Chocolate mixture
6. In a bowl filled with dessicated coconut, dip the chocolate topped muffin in bowl. Shake off excess.
7. Leave aside to cool.