Extremely bored one day, I decided to make my favourite Red Velvet cupcakes but using another recipe. I was so pleased with the result, I decided not to top them with sweet cream cheese icing as I just wanted to enjoy the beautiful texture of the cupcake. Also I liked that the recipe used vegetable oil instead of butter which creates a more moist texture.
So here is the recipe. It is extremely simple and the whole preparation time took less than 15 mins. Including baking time, these red babies took about 30 mins to be created! Quick and simple!
Red Velvet Cupcakes (makes 24)
(This was a Paula Deen recipe but I changed a little. Trust me, it is really good!)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar, room temperature (leave to stand for 5 mins)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a larger bowl, carefully whisk together oil, buttermilk, food coloring, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until smooth and combined using an electric hand mixer.
Divide batter between cupcake pans lined with papers
- Bake 20 minutes (15 mins if you have a powerful oven, like mine)