Sunday morning I woke up with a vengeance. I was determined to successfully make Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. The cupcake was divided into 3 parts. The lemon curd, cupcake and meringue. Having successfully created lemon curd on Saturday morning, I proceeded with the cupcake and failed. The cupcakes failed to rise properly. So I spent the rest of Saturday wondering where I went wrong. At night I could barely sleep and lay on the bed wondering which step I had gone wrong. So on Sunday morning, with all my determination, I started the cupcake again. This time I was extra careful with the preparation and as I saw it in the oven, it rose beautifully! I was of course extremely pleased with the results. When the cupcakes were completely cooled, I pleased the lemon curd in the cupcake, put meringue on it and placed it in the oven. The cupcake was so pretty and I loved the lemon curd. Plus as the whole cupcake cooled down, the meringue became less moist and was delicious! My mother’s friends who came over for mahjong really enjoyed them.
Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes
For the lemon curd
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (About 3 medium-sized lemons)
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest
For the cupcake batter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon zest
1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
For the meringue
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
To make the lemon curd
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk lemon juice, eggs, egg yolk and sugar until smooth.
- Add butter and place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisking gently, cook mixture until it thickens and leaves a ribbon when whisk is lifted – this can take anywhere from 8 to 20 minutes depending on how high the heat is set and how cold the ingredients were.
- Remove from heat and push through a fine mesh strainer. Fold in lemon zest, cover with plastic wrap and thoroughly chill before using.
To make the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, rub together the lemon zest and sugar with your fingers until the zest is evenly distributed and the sugar takes on a light yellow hue.
- Add butter and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with the milk – beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Evenly divide batter between 24 paper-lined muffin cups – they should be roughly half full.
- Bake until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center and is just beginning to get a golden hue – about 16 to 20 minutes. Remove and place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the meringue
- In a large mixing bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whipping until egg whites hold stiff peaks when beaters are lifted.
To assemble the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 400
- Place cupcakes on a large baking sheet.
- Use a paring knife to cut out a small cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Pipe about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the lemon curd into each cupcake.
- Spoon dollops of meringue over the curd on each cupcake. Bake until the tops of the meringues brown – about 4 to 6 minutes.
Makes 24 cupcakes.