Makes 24 cupcakes or 1 three-layer 9-inch cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar (I used 3 part Caster sugar, 1 part Brown sugar)
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, one the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla extract, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the cups about three-quarters full.
- Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20-22 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on a rack before icing.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
6-8 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and the vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (you may very well not need all of the sugar). If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. Use and store icing at room temperature, as icing will set if chilled. Can store in airtight container up to three days.